Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Unsettling, Astonishing, Outrageous Paul Washer


One day, as I was addressing about 100 support letters (see above), I decided that it would be a great use of time to listen to a sermon as well. So I walked myself over to the Victory Wing to get a few Paul Washer sermons from Madison. I won’t lie, I was a teensy bit giddy as I walked back with my little flash drive in hand. His sermons are shocking, powerful, and full of the Word of God, and I ponder over them and soak them up like a sponge. One sermon in particular has been particularly challenging to me- “The Glory of God in Missions.” Ohhh it’s good.  Here are a few quotes that jumped out at me.

“It all goes back to the two great commandments and getting them back in priority. The first great commandment is to love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind strength and the second is to love your neighbor as yourself. Every thing in the divine human relationship must be founded upon these two commands. In these two commands, know this, that God has preeminence.... our chief motivation is the glory of God.”

“When I go to the mission field, I don’t go after the lost. I go after my family. I have brothers and sisters there, and they don’t know about their Father.”

“You know the cute little saying ‘God hates the sin and loves the sinner’? It’s heresy. When you start building your theology off of clichés and things written on the back of t-shirts, you’re in trouble. ‘God hates the sin and loves the sinner.’ The Bible says God hates all those who do wrong. You say, ‘What about John 3:16?!” Well, it’s inspired. But Psalm 5 is inspired too. God hates the workers of iniquity. It doesn’t say He hates iniquity, it says He hates the workers of iniquity.” (Scandalous, no? You’ll have to listen to the sermon yourself to find out more.) 

I would highly recommend listening to The Glory of God in Missions! Of course, I don’t recommend swallowing everything he says whole. Test it all, compare it to the Word, try to find something wrong with it, and line yourself up with what the Word of God states is true.

Don’t have time? I listen to sermons when I’m getting ready in the morning, cleaning, cooking, exercising, driving.... There’s all sorts of opportunities! Try it, you’ll like it. And if you don’t then you’re a heathen that’s going to hell.

Just kidding. 

Funny Quote: “You know, you look a lot shorter inside” says a 6’7” (or somethin’ like that) man. 

No comments:

Post a Comment